Monday, April 15, 2013

Never Forget

I'm trying to make a promise to myself about how I'll act when I get pregnant. I've seen a lot of people who struggled months, or even years with infertility turn around and act as insensitively as those they admonished before they became pregnant. I get that it's got to be incredibly exciting, to -finally- be pregnant after all those months/years... I just think it's easy to forget how hard it still is for many people to bear the burden of infertility.

I'm really curious as to what other people think. I welcome all opinions. I certainly don't think people should refrain from discussing their pregnancies, I just tune out/skip their Facebook posts when it gets to me.

The thing is, I'd never say something to somebody. I've blocked images on Facebook if it bugs me too much. I'm a firm believer that you can't really tell someone to stop posting so many photos/updates about their pregnancy/baby without coming off like a serious asshole.

I guess you could buy this shirt and be passive-aggressive, though.


Just kidding. I do love that comic, though.

5 comments:

  1. I totally get what you mean about the facebook "over sharers" It seems some people have to put everything on FB and this certainly doesn't change when they get pregnant.

    I went through a bad period of time where I hid a lot of people from my feed because I couldn't take the updates, and even though I have unhid a bunch, sometimes statuses just hit you the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times, I feel like I'm such a dick for feeling that way - but it can't be helped. I have resolved to be fairly private about any future pregnancy/babies when it comes to social media. If you want to know how I'm doing, ask me. If you want to see pictures - I will send you some.

      I hope someone who knows me kicks me in the ass if/when I deviate from that because I don't want to be THAT person.

      Delete
  2. I see it from both sides... I have a kid, and because of my IF struggles, I try to be sensitive about my posts. But at the same time, with the situation I'm in, I want to brag everyday that she is here. It's hard to find a balance. I just try to ignore things that bother me and take zero offense when people choose to do the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have hidden and even unfriended quite a few people on FB who over share like it's their job. Like you, I would never actually tell someone to ease up on posting.

    I am also afraid of becoming a hypocrite if/when I get pregnant. A lot of my friends and family live far away and FB has been our main way to keep in touch. Perhaps with creative use of the privacy settings any pregnancy related posts would only be seen by the close family and friends who want to see updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how many people I've blocked or unfriended for over sharing, whether it be with babies, pregnancy and life drama. I don't judge you for it at all. I've had bad days where I don't even want to see posts about my family's children.
    But I am even more disappointed when I see former IFers who apparently have forgotten the struggle they went through and say insensitive things without thinking beforehand.

    ReplyDelete